Skip to main content

The Bookworm, Rereading Books

I have a confession to make.

I seldom reread books.



Okay, if you know me, and you know how much I read, this would definitely come as a surprise. “How the hell can Martin not reread books? How can he speak with so much authority on a single book if he has probably read it just once?” you may ask. And those are very good questions.

Questions that, as of the moment, I have no definite answers for. See, I love reading. There’s nothing I’d rather do all day long than read. I had a video gaming phase in my life, and I currently watch a truckload (this is one of my favorite metaphors) of TV shows, but given a choice, I would like to vegetate on my bed with a pile of good books.

Okay, maybe a tall-backed armchair with an iconic old boys’ club side table would work just as nice, but when it comes to a full reading experience, nothing beats the Japanese way of reading. That is, lying down sideways on the tatami (or in my case, a bed) with the book spread out on the floor next to you, head elevated on your arm, and your legs crossed. I would like to call this the Figure 4 of reading.

But that, of course, doesn’t address the issue here: Why don’t I reread my books? Let me try to gather my thoughts on that, and provide a somewhat decent answer.

I just don’t. I find it tiresome. You know, unless I really, really, really like the book. Or if it was required reading, which hasn’t been a reality ever since I left school.

See, I have a long reading list, and it keeps on getting longer every time I set foot inside bookstores. If I wander into a Booksale, the list grows exponentially longer, since those books are really cheap. Back when I was a kid, when I had fewer books to go through, I wore the spines through with constant rereading. With the advent of college, though, and a more personal flow of income that I could use at will (I started writing for cash during my freshman year), I was able to start buying books for myself.

And that’s when my reading rate spiked, at the cost of my rereading rate. I grew my library, slowly but surely, starting with literary required reading at the time (Murakami and Gaiman, for starters, then moving on to Vonnegut and Eco), but my girlfriend at the time would introduce me to pulp fiction and the golden age of sci-fi through the aforementioned Booksale.

They aren't lying when they say they make reading more affordable.

Have you ever wandered into a thrift bookstore, and found yourself overwhelmed by the amount of books you want to buy? That’s what Booksale is, and the thing is, their prices are so good that you can actually buy the books you’ve got on a pile after two hours in the shop. I’ve experienced coming up for air with five books in my arms from Booksale, flushed with excitement at the discovery of these rare (says the elitist in me) finds, and I would bring them to the counter without a care for the price. If I would come up short, I’d have the books I’m least interested in reserved under my name, and come back for them in three days. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is, by no means, a promoted post for Booksale, although I’d happily endorse them anytime of the day, if they needed what little celebrity power (if any at all) I brought to them. But you can see how this would lead to an explosion of books in my library. I count at least ten books that I have yet to read in my shelf, and I don’t think that number’s going to go down anytime soon. And the thing is, while I love reading, there are very few authors I’d willingly reread. I think that’s material for another post.

So what kind of reader does this make me? Not a very good one, admittedly. I can remember the general outline of every book I’ve read in my life, and if they were especially well-written, I can even remember how I felt after reading them, enough to be able to recommend them to anybody interested in the title. But don’t expect me to quote characters from the book, because my recall isn’t anything to be remotely proud of.

This doesn’t, won’t, and will never, keep me from reading, though. In my opinion, not being able to retrieve lines from books at will is not a handicap if you can paraphrase, and that’s a skill I’m somewhat better at. And anyway, who cares if I’m no source of quotable quotes? I don’t read for the benefit of the public!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...