Skip to main content

Kick Off Your Shoes, Put Your Feet Up, and Relax, Baby

It’s halfway through September, and I’m quite pleased to note that I haven’t written anything even remotely full-on political on this blog. And no, that Celdran article was not even close to political.

Some of the people who read my work because of the observations I made of the way things in Manila – and in the Philippines – are will probably wonder why I stopped writing about those things. And there are plenty of reasons, truth be told. But the most important reason was that I just got tired of looking for topics on a daily basis.

See, writing about current events entails a level of research that needs to be done quickly and efficiently. I don’t have the luxury of time to do that every day. This blog’s a mental exercise more than anything else, and despite the ads I’ve put up all over the place, I don’t earn enough from this to turn it into a job. (If I did, you wouldn’t see me taking breaks from posting, trust me).

I guess, at the end of the day, I like having a small spot on the web where I don’t have to dilute my thoughts into 140-character sound bites, or into something that only my friends and close colleagues can see. Social media’s amazing, don’t get me wrong. But sometimes, you need to find a way to escape the rush of every day living. And for me, coming up with a short blog post on this blog every day (yes, I schedule my posts) would be my escape. I get to focus on something that isn’t newsworthy, that isn’t work-related, and that isn’t something that needs to be properly polished.

And man, does that feel good. No expectations, no pressure. I am the relaxed fat man.

smoker

Aww yeah.

Not that I won’t post anything like those anymore. I still will. Or maybe, if I find the time to do it, I’ll set up a separate blog for those incendiary (?) articles. The future’s not set in stone. But I do like the simplicity of this new set up. I get a writing exercise every day, I get to talk about things that matter to me, no matter how silly they are, and I get to entertain people who are unlucky enough to stumble upon my blog.

What more can a blogger ask for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...