Skip to main content

Listening to Classical Music While Drinking Tea and Eating Scones

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped listening to the music I have in my computer, and switched to Internet radio. I don’t think there are that many radio stations in Manila worth listening to these days (unless you want to listen to stupid radio), so I initially started listening to Radyo 5 – an FM talk radio station with an AM programming format – but eventually moved to the Master’s Touch (DZFE), a decidedly Christian radio station that played classical music.

dzfe logo

Why, you ask, is Martin listening to what other people would describe as sleep music? Is he slowly going insane? Has he gone off the deep end? Has he lost touch with reality?

The thing with classical music is that it’s great for working. Some people have no trouble listening to rock while trying to write; I’ve been there. I used to work that way. But eventually, I discovered that I needed music that I can tune into the background. Otherwise, I get distracted. I find that it has become easier to distract me, as I got older.

But what about the Christian commentary? I have to admit, it was pretty difficult to go through an entire segment where the WASPy host would prattle on about the fundamental benefits of living a life in Jesus and why are children these days absorbed by social media when the bible’s right there for the reading oh my god. I’m Roman Catholic, and the teachings aren’t fundamentally different from what I personally believe, but these guys are like those charismatic preachers that get on a crowded bus to “spread the good news of the Lord”.

st dominic preacher

Imagine this guy in a crowded bus during rush hour.

Then again, I’m listening to DZFE for the background music. With a little bit of effort, the preaching blends into the background along with the classical music, so I don’t have to worry too much about being indoctrinated into the Protestant faith. If it becomes too unbearable, I can always lower the volume to a drone.

A caveat: classical music is not my go-to music of choice. There are times when I gravitate back to rock and progressive. Or, whenever I’m feeling upbeat, some decent r&b. But I find that I can’t work while listening to the songs I have with me, since all it takes is a great progression to snap me out of work and into a trancelike state, absorbing all the notes as they, well progress. In other words, normal music has become a distraction.

But the classics are always easy on the ears. What virtuosity is involved in any classical song is softly filtered by the fact that it isn’t something I can play on the fly. I don’t have to worry about obsessing about the progression from act 1 to act 2 of the Marriage of Figaro, for example, since it isn’t something that I’m supposed to understand. And that alone is enough to make me gratefully indifferent to the skills of the musicians, and able to focus on the document currently in front of me.

And that is why I have started listening to the classics. Because I’m just an average guy trying to get his work done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...