Skip to main content

Sportsmanship

It’s the middle of September, and the UAAP season is in full swing. Now, I personally don’t care about the games (unlike some people I know), and whoever wins, wins. I never understood the allure of the spirit of this competition, much less the fervor fans have for their respective teams, that they bring themselves to the brink of very ungentlemanly behavior, as can be seen on the comments of this article.

The UAAP Season 76 Logo

Now, I won’t make it a secret that I was born and raised a Lasalista. Schooled by the FSC since kindergarten, I think I really learned quite a lot from that school – although the most important art the brothers taught me was to bullshit with a straight face, and then deliver on that bullshit afterwards (please don’t kill me, Brothers in my social circle). But for the love of the school that I’ve always had, I could never, for the life of me, get why people would start hurting each other, either physically or verbally, because of these games.

I guess you could say that I never got into the spirit because I was never really into the UAAP games. My circle of friends are the same, although if you make them watch an MMA game, they would always have something to say (which, again, I still don’t understand). I watch sports now and then, and appreciate it, but the allure isn’t the same for me.

Sometimes, I wonder if it’s because I was no sportsman. I could swim well enough, and I had enough basic martial arts training that I wouldn’t say I was completely helpless in a fight, but I never in a million years wished to pursue what Gray Fox would call the clashing of bone and sinew. Or, as in the case of chess, the clash of mental acuity. Because, you know, chess is still a sport, despite what you purists say about it.

In a way, I’m glad I was never like that. I’m glad I would never resort to calling people stupid or bobo or tanga out in the open just because they fought for a different cause than I did. I would never assault a fan of the opposing team because we lost. And I would never call people out on technicalities that shouldn’t even be there just because I was called out on one myself in the first place. (if that last part happened, I’d focus on defending myself first, get it over with, and THEN call them out on technicalities, so I guess that last bit doesn’t count).

Once a Lasalista, always a Lasalista, though.

I still do enjoy watching the UAAP games sometimes. And coming from a mixed extended family of Lasalistas and Ateneans always makes this season exciting. But all these controversies cheapen the whole experience, and its times like these that I can truly say that I’m glad I never took sides. I’d be hard-put to be objective if I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.