Skip to main content

I Read The News Today Oh Boy

Let's see.

I.
I got back to Cagayan de Oro yesterday, fresh from a heady night of wine-ing with Obi wherein I ended up in one couch, him in another, both of us with no recollection at all of how we got there. Let the speculations begin.

Anyway. The night before, my boss specifically told me that one of the projects I was handling was going to have what is called a field day the next day. I forget the details, but when you hear the terms field and day used in the same context as advertising and / or marketing, it could only mean a whole lotta work for me. So against my better judgment, and the proddings of an as-yet sober Obi, I agreed to show up at work the following day after my flight.

This was, as you could well imagine, a really, really bad decision. Upon arriving at the office fresh from my welcome-back-to-the-ends-of-the-earth meal at JRJ Fried Chicken, I discovered that not only did Lia not have any work for me - which leads me to suspect that the damn broad missed me and only wanted me to show up at work so she can bask her eyes on my otherworldly beautiful self - but also that, after a couple of hours of nodding to sleep whilst on autopilot (that's really a term I use for when I have very little to do at work), finishing anything at that point in time was not only a chore, it was also impossible. At exactly 9:30 p.m., I packed my things, told Lia that I was skipping out due to severe narcoleptic seizures, and went home. My bed loved me anew that night.

II.
So technically, with Mrs. Arroyo's decision to dump the NBN-ZTE deal - a left hook that came from nowhere, which leads me to think that maybe Freddie Roach is a scam, and she really is behind Manny Pacquiao's training - the country lost two things:
    1. a really big asset that could have helped the country jet into the 21st century as the BPO tiger of Asia (although I have no idea how that could be an honor)
    2. a lot of pre-holiday entertainment.
That latter part may be a bit too hasty, though; even now, in the wake of Gloria's decisive executive decision, the return of the First Gentleman, and Abalos' resignation are both still plagued by the vultures of the media, dredging this story for all its worth in front page news. So we might still have a ZTE - the Christmas Special in the future.

III.
Over at Pao's site, there's a rather interesting entry that should pretty much hit at least the Pinoy medical world with the velocity of said Manny Pacquiao's left hook. It combines the gravity of the recent Malou Fernandez brouhaha and a really curious show called Desperate Housewives.

Now, I'm not really a proponent of anti-racism, because I think everybody's a bit racist once in a while, me more often than most, but I really, really hate primetime television. If I were a doctor, I'd sign.

IV.
I am on the mend. In the process of. Apparently, extreme alcohol intake, while bad on the body, is quite good for the humor of a person.

Here is the first set of photographs taken from last Saturday's Mt. Narciso bash, courtesy of Obi and his Nikon D100. The next set of photos were deemed to be too pornographic, and were kept in a private network.

V.
That thing's still there. Somewhere. It's floating about in my mind, and I can't wait for the day when the amount of alcohol I imbibe will wipe out the very memory. When I go back to Manila, maybe.

EDIT: Number five is a killer. I swear. I need mental amputation, maybe. Otherwise, there is no hope for me. Putanginang yan. Shet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...