Skip to main content

The End of Contentment

This is the end of contentment.

I finished the last few assignments I had to finish for Stickymedia Solutions' content department earlier today. It was like dropping off anchor from your hometown, waving at all your friends from the dock, wishing them all well and promising to write, except that you know you'll still be in the same place at the same time the next day.

I'm not saying that its an emotional separation. I've been going on way too much about emotional this and emotional that for the past few posts that I could put up my very own soap opera clinic and actually have enough material to last me a couple of years. So no, this isn't an emotional post.

But there's something to be said about having a steady something that you know working for you. I mean, I know writing. I know my writing. For the past year, I've been editing so many words, resuscitating so many dead articles, churning out so much copy that I couldn't even bear to look at the short story I'm writing when I get home. But I enjoyed my stay in the content department, and I know the content kids enjoyed my company as well, and there's just no replacement for the kind of love that you get from people who appreciate your work for what it is.

Tomorrow I plow into the world of Advibe Media, and the uncharted waters of full-throttle cutthroat Internet advertising. I have no idea just how well I could do in this new environment. My previous boss tells me that I could do it. The company owner says that the client thinks I could do it. I just hope I can think that I can do it.


My sister mentioned something about horoscopes that make some sense. If you fall for a symbiotic element, say earth (since I'm a Cancerian, and that's water if I've ever seen one), the chances are rather strong that one of the two people in the relationship will lose his or her identity. Which makes me wonder just how much of my identity I've lost so far. I can tell that the past five months have changed me so drastically, it's frightening. And while the idea of being fully content in a relationship is appealing in so many levels that it's frightening, does it make the price of one's own personality worth it?

Am I headed down that path that will generate a massive change in the entity that is me? Have I begun that metamorphosis already? Am I making the right choice in pursuing this? Is it worth my time, my effort, and the effort of the other person?

So I lied. This was going to be another emo post. Sue me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...