Skip to main content

The Pride of the Filipinos

Two things grabbed my attention yesterday. One was Lucy Liu’s remark about being compared to a Filipino. The second was Jessica Sanchez’s stint in Glee. I wouldn’t be surprised if the two items were trending topics in Twitter for at least an afternoon.

But here’s the thing: I DON’T FREAKING CARE.

 

lucy liu Chinese, Filipina, who the hell cares?

 

I walk out of my house, and there’s a traffic jam caused by jeepneys because the baranggay captain in our town continuously rents out the street that is the usual jeepney route, leading to a massive rerouting effort. Note that the street is big enough for two cars, at most.

Along the street, there are Pinoys double parked. These guys have cars, but they don’t have garages. They park in front of other peoples’ houses, blocking the doorway, blocking the driveway.

There’s this old man who walks from Pureza to the gates of Malacañan park. This old man looks like a poster boy for bag ladies and beggars everywhere. He wears a tattered black shirt and rolled up trousers that look like they’re part of the sack he’s carrying. You see him sleeping on the sidewalk across the gates of the park at noon, and he’s resting at the foot of Nagtahan bridge in the morning. He’s been on that beat for nearly two decades.

Last week, my girlfriend was in the mall with her niece. Just as she was about to buy something to bring home to her nephew, a beggar approached her and tried to ask for money. When she kindly told them that begging was not allowed inside the mall, the child retorted that at least they weren’t stealing. This was inside an SM mall.

In the government, they’re delaying the progression of the freedom of information bill just because midterm elections are around the corner. Among the politicos, they see nothing wrong with this, as it serves a unified cause of anonymity at a time when everything that matters is what the public perceives at face value.

We have all of these problems and you have time to putter about with righteous indignation over something an actress said in passing? Weren’t we the same people who would say that the Chinese drooled, that the Moslems kidnapped children and sold their blood?

Need we be reminded that Charisse Pempengco also guest-starred in Glee, and aside from a silly one-on-one with Lea Michelle for one episode, she was hardly anything worth noting?

Like Loud de Veyra says, andaming nagugutom sa mundo, fashionista ka pa rin?

Dude, I’m not proud of that. Let me tell you what I’m proud about.

I’m proud that we beat down a law that could have destroyed the freedom of speech in our country.

I’m proud that we decided to take a step forward and try to make peace in the midst of civil war.

I’m proud that despite the world economy being what it is, we’re one of the more sustainable countries in the world.

And I’m proud that I know people who don’t let themselves get caught up in the hype of every racial slur that accidentally slips out of a celebrity’s mouth.

How about this: every time you read something in the news, before you react to it, you stop. Think. And understand. Before you say something about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...