Skip to main content

Lemons, Cowards, and Tigers

I don’t know if any of you have read this yet, but if you have the time to do so now, please read the article “RH Bill, Ateneo, and La Salle: Of Lemons and Cowards”. I’m sure many of you will find this to be a rather interesting read, for a variety of reasons.

(Here’s another link, in case the one above isn’t working.)

This was published on the 9th of September, 2012. If I recall, that was just soon after the latest round of debates on the RH Bill finished, just before Senator Sotto’s turno en contra.

Lemon tart1
Your lemony statements are a bit tart, there, sir.

 

Now, I’m thinking, maybe this is the lampoon issue of the newspaper, yes? I don’t know if anybody from the Varsi will actually write something this scathing. During my days in UST, I doubt there was anybody in the staff of the official newspaper who thought this way about the usage of prophylactics and sex education, and I don’t see any reason for that to change in ten years.

Which only leads me to one assumption: this article hardly is the editorial opinion of the staff of the Varsitarian as it is the opinion of the school. Which is fine; I don’t have anything against an individual or entity expressing their opinions because that’s part of our legal and moral rights.

But to go as far as to call other institutions as cowards just because they give their individual members the freedom to express what they believe in is absurd. Last I checked, we were in the 21st century. I didn’t know we were back during the days of the inquisition wherein people who go against the doctrine of the Catholic church do so under threat of excommunication.

Where’s the forgiveness, understanding, and love in that? It’s like the church – or at least, in this instance, the Royal Catholic and Pontifical university of Santo Tomas – isn’t practicing what the church’s founder preached.

The local church’s attitude strikes me funny, since even the upper echelons of the Vatican are showing signs of leaning towards the relativistic acceptance of “necessary contraception” as the lesser evil. This, of course, remains to be a thorny issue for Catholic conservatives, but it’s refreshing to see signs of change in an institution as resistant to it as this.

And perhaps the change is sorely needed. Even one of the papal candidates during the time of Pope John Paul II’s death went so far as to say that the modern church was 200 years out of date. Of course, a lot of people in the Philippines are going to say that these are attempts to attack the church. But to that I say so what? Back during the beginnings of the church, they were persecuted (to their deaths, even) and they emerged to be one of the most powerful influential organizations the world has known. It’s anybody’s guess why the modern, conservative church is under attack today, but this presents to the institution a huge opportunity for growth and development.

Sadly, cells like the University of Santo Tomas are keeping the church from fully grasping the opportunity for change. If this is a lampoon article of the Vuisitarian, then great; I could hardly detect the sarcasm. But if this is real, then this represents what could perhaps be one of the biggest stumbling blocks the roman catholic church has to go through in modern times. The kind that leads to spiritual hate, dividing the church even more than it already is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...