Skip to main content

Remember the Third of October

As a person who lives on the Internet throughout my daily life, I cannot state in words how sad, disappointed, ashamed, and disgusted I am with our government for the massive oversight that is the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012.

And you know what makes it worse? It’s the fact that on the whole, the law could have been one of the best laws this country has ever had. I don’t disagree with everything on that law, since I believe in defeating the child prostitution rings that are alive on the Internet. I believe in removing fraud and theft conducted via the Internet. And I believe that it is the duty of every citizen of the Philippines to help the government out when they can, and that includes helping out on the Internet.

But then the libel clause on the law is open to MASSIVE misinterpretation, and goes against every civil right to freedom of speech and information. And I do not put it past our government’s more undesirable units to put that into power to promote themselves. Tito Sotto, the third generation of Vicente Sotto of the Press Freedom Law, is one of those people who MIGHT be open to misinterpret this law to protect himself, his family, and his negosyo (Eat Bulaga).

So I oppose this law 100%, just because of the questionable clauses. And I think the Philippine government is stupid to realize that there are many problems with this law, but to not do anything about it. Leila de Lima went against the orders of the Supreme Court during the whole GMA airport brouhaha, but states that her hands are tied in the execution of this law? I call shenanigans. The president’s spokespersons stating that it was the mistake of the press and of the people, when the senate did NOTHING to make the Bill’s discussion available for public consumption? I call BULLSHIT.

My friend and I got to talking, and maybe he’s right. Maybe E-Martial law is the extreme worst-case scenario. Maybe a little bit of sobriety is required, because we don’t know what the full ramifications are, yet. But the question is: are you going to wait for it to get to that point?

Be vigilant. Be prepared to criticize. Think smart. And remember.

 

 

Remember, remember, the Third of October’s

Cybercrime Prevention plot.

I see no reason why Internet treason

should ever be forgot.

 

‘Twas Sotto, T. Sotto, ‘twas his intent

to protect his hide and his incumbent

hold onto power. The reason? To show

his will to the nation, the senate in tow.

By pure vigilance, his plagiarists met

with a public lynching on the Internet

LOL now, boys, LOL now, girls.

God save us all!

Hai faiv? Hai faiv!

Hai faivs all around!

 

A blogger’s post to feed that law,

some Facebook spam to choke it.

A Twitter roast to rinse it down

and then Reddit to burn it.

Burn it in the public eye

burn it with hashtags to the sky.

Burn this law, and make instead

the network freedom our bread.

Then we’ll say that we are free

and post our LOLcats with all glee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.