Skip to main content

Same thing, but different


I remember when blogging was the big thing. It was social media before the age of Twitter, Friendster (I'm dating myself, I know) and Facebook. And my decision to blog again - aside from having a curated space of sorts to show off my writing style - got me to thinking back to when I was one of the bloggers littering the worldwide web with thoughts from my very own soapbox. 

(Not that this blog isn't any different from how things were back then, except I litter quite less - something I hope to change - and I'm hoping is less litter, more nuggets of semi-wisdom)

One of the things that set the standard for how search optimization was to evolve back in the day was linking to each other. Pre-blogging, links to other sites on your page were virtually unheard of, because you risked losing your audience to another service - because most websites back then were online portals of corporations that hosted information on that corp's products and their contact information. You couldn't buy things off the internet outside of eBay (at least not yet), and selling from a physical storefront was less an option, and more of a reality.

Blogging introduced a concept that, for the lack of a better term, we can probably call social linking. Bloggers like myself would occasionally, or frequently, link out to other bloggers in their own little blogging neighborhood to shout out, gain clout, and/or catch the attention of a specific individual. Most of the time, we were doing this to socialize via the web, hence the name, but by 2005 it'd become a viable form of traffic for a new breed of online sellers, and so precious blogspace with decently-sized traffic became a media buying haven, where people shilled links that pointed towards these sellers. 

And since we were social people on the web, we left comments on each others' blogs - be it through posts, shoutboxes or tagboards, or even in visitor logs. This was something that was adopted by social media services out of the box, with Twitter, Friendster, Facebook, and even MySpace letting users comment on posts of their friends. And again, it was co-opted by marketers working on on-page SEO back in the day, hiring teams of spam linkers to flood post comments with backlinks to their websites. 

Even the practice of mixing media, utilizing music, visuals, and text together, was something bloggers practiced back in the day. Make no mistake, we still do this to this day, but I guess it's safe to say that it's the same...but different. 

Today, I'm missing the authenticity of a lot of the short and long form posts that come out on social media. Back when we were blogging, you can expect to read a lot of different things from people who were blogging. Some of them were precursors to shitposting and vaguebooking, true, but we took the bad with the good back then. The content was almost always fresh, and you knew you were getting a story that came from somebody's (admittedly, foolishly young) heart. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...