Skip to main content

Post-Enrilean Epoch

JPE with Brownie

Kara David is doing some serious manifesting with all that's happening to corrupt government officials lately, that started with the passing of the late, notorious, Juan Ponce Enrile, the biggest political butterfly this country has ever known since the days of the makapili.

Funny story first: I have a friend who has a second degree of proximity to the old Enrile. His grandfather once rescued Manong Johnny from childhood bullies once, back in the day when they were both youths living in the province. The joke was that with JPE's death, the life debt is paid and the energy has come to return, full circle, once again. 

I personally don't know what to make of JPE. The guy rose to infamy back when he deflected from the elder Marcos, becoming one of the lynchpins that would topple the dictator from power. That's a good thing, right? But then he went on to rebel against Cory Aquino, the president he helped put in power. But after that, he exonerated himself and rose into prominence as a figure in the senate, even becoming one of that body's head honcho, and a well-respected figure at that.

And then he'd go on into semi-retirement for the next half-decade or so only to come out of retirement by becoming the legal adviser for the administration of the son of the president he was instrumental in deposing in the first place, at which point he was at the cusp of becoming a centenarian. 

I'm reminded of that one Simpsons clip while reading what I just wrote: 




So many full circle things in JPE's life. And the funny thing is, I'm hard put to find somebody who has nothing good to say about the man. No matter how many corruption allegations he's survived, no matter how many sides he's shifted to in his 100 years of life, there's always something to celebrate about JPE. The man is a voracious reader, for example. Or the fact that despite his alleged proclivity to corruption, he still makes sound decisions that, in one way or another, benefits the republic. He isn't overtly corrupt, which puts many of his current colleagues to shame.

But then again you can go and say that yeah, the guy had a hundred years to clean up and perfect his systems. Of course you wouldn't catch him in action. It's a hundred years too early, yadda yadda. 

Well, whatever the case may be, Manong Johnny has, for better or worse, gone the way of his beloved pet Brownie (the velociraptor), ushering in the post-Enrilean epoch, and hopefully many more corruptors in the Philippine government follow in his wake, either by example or by imprisonment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...