Skip to main content

This Guy Survived on No Money, and I Can't Even

Daniel Suelo
Sometimes, I wonder about possessions. I tested an experiment on my site the other week (in case some of you may not have noticed), and I'd like to say that it was fairly successful. But the fact remains that the whole point of that experiment was about making even more money.

Which, while cool, can be a little bit disheartening too. I mean, here we are, once again, talking about money. I’m writing about technology day in and day out, keeping track of trends and looking out for the latest news to see if there isn’t something I can’t catch that can boost my site’s popularity even by just a little bit.
And then there’s this guy. Daniel Suelo, the man who absolutely quit money, and has been living money-free for twelve years. I’m enthralled, humbled, in awe of the man. Forget living off the grid, forget living on completely renewable resources. This guy’s achieved the ultimate dream: live without need, live without regret, and live with almost nothing.
Granted, he eats roadkill, which is kinda gross. But there’s a certain Zen to his way of life that I know I can never achieve. He’s living the life, man. He’s out there, winging everything day in and day out.
And he’s done it for twelve years. Jesus Christ. I can’t even live without at least—AT LEAST—a hundred pesos on any given day.
There’s this man who lives without money. Meanwhile, here I am, hunched over my blog. If this doesn’t put things into perspective, then I don’t know what will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...