Skip to main content

Indulging In Coffee

I’ve never had trouble in proving that I loved coffee. I make my drinks using either a Moka pot or an ibrik (since drip coffee is swill), and then I limit my visits to Starbucks because I believe that McDonald’s and Dunkin make better coffee. Hell, even Krispy Kreme makes better coffee.

But Mickey D’s and Dunkin aside, some of the best coffees I’ve had in the Metro are usually of the cappuccino variety, which is an insult to my taste for the vilest, blackest liquid known to grace the lips of man. The thing is that they just taste so good, it’d be a shame to pass them up. I had the pleasure of visiting the vanguard of craft coffee in Manila. The owners were, tongue-in-cheek, droll enough to call their shop Craft.

20140705_144905

The thing about Craft Coffee Revolution in New Manila is that their shop smells of sweet coffee thanks to Elizabeth, their roasting machine. Yes, they roast their own beans. Yes, their front door is perennially blocked by sacks of green coffee. I knew I was going to love this place right after I entered the door.

A caveat on this coffee bar: the roast they use for their coffee beans isn’t something that I like. I love Italian roasts better than their pallid City Plus roast, since the taste I look for in my coffee comes from the roast, and not from the actual bean. Don’t know what I’m talking about? See this link for more info on what coffee roast levels are all about.

20140705_142345

One of the best things about Craft, though, is that they take so many precautions in making their coffee. I had the pleasure of speaking with the guy who owned (?) their branch in New Manila, and learned that they strictly controlled water temperatures in order to keep the bitter taste of the coffee from blossoming. The same goes for how they handle their cream and milk; the coffee is served at a relatively tepid temperature. They even have a disclaimer on the wall, saying that patrons had to request for piping hot coffee in order to get piping hot coffee. See, the longer the coffee is exposed to a heat source, the more bitter it gets. This is why cold coffee lovers prefer to cold-brew their coffee, since you end up with all the bean’s taste with very little of the bitter undertones.

While I was there, I was able to try their cappuccino, their latte, and their espresso. No, I did not drink it all. I only drank the cappuccino and the espresso. I tasted the latte. They were all exceptionally good, with the exception that I preferred a stronger flavor in my coffee. The latte and cappuccino were almost indistinguishable, except for the creamier flavor of the latter; as you can see in the photo of the latte, their baristas are well-versed in latte art, which adds a lot of value to the drink.

20140705_142414

But I completely loved their espresso; strong and thick, the crema did nothing to keep the flavor of the coffee at bay. Their beans were sour-ish but packed with taste (something you’d expect from a medium roast), and didn’t have that characteristic bitter aftertaste you would associate with normal coffee. Some people would say that it was a bit strong, but that’s what espresso is all about. Stop drinking espresso if what you really wanted was a tall iced mocha frapuccino with all the trimmings.

If you’re serious about coffee, give Craft a visit. Not only do they sell good coffee, they sell good beans for a reasonable price, as well. And I think you can buy coffee paraphernalia from them too; I’m on the waiting list for a ten-cup ibrik, last I checked.

 

Craft Coffee Revolution
66 Broadway Avenue
New Manila, Quezon City
(right beside Big Sky Mind)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...