Skip to main content

The Little Chef

So today I’m going to write about cakes. Because I love cakes. If they weren’t bad for me, I’ll eat cakes by the truckload. Especially cheesecakes, because they’re made of cheese, and cake (not exactly accurate). To be precise, I’m writing about a cake baker—otherwise known as a pastry chef—I encountered quite by chance.

the pastry chef

Lara dela Torre is the Little Chef, and is a personal friend of Nina. In my mind, she’s what I call a bona fide pastry chef, and is one of the reasons why I remain fat. I have had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of some of her creations, and I can say I am quite impressed.

And by making the acquaintance, I mean demolishing them. Just last week, she sent over a solo choco caramel cheesecake, and I think I devoured at least half of the cake by myself in one sitting. I’d post a photo, but I don’t have any decent shots of the cake before Hurricane Martin happened. But I can tell you this: it is, hands down, my favorite cake to date. I love a good cheesecake that’s not too thick, but has a dense, creamy consistency and a nice Graham crust. It gives a bit of a fight when you cut into it—but not too much that it makes eating it a struggle. The chocolate and caramel toppings of this particular cheesecake were—fittingly—the icing to the cake; it could have just been a normal cheesecake, and I would have been perfectly happy.

She also makes great carrot cakes that’re a bit different from the ones that you’re used to. I don’t now if this was by design, but the mini carrot streusel cupcakes (because they looked like cupcakes; they could just be plain miniature cakes) had a moist, mushy interior that went really great with the toasted exterior. I enjoyed it immensely with my morning coffee, and the streusel, although messy, was a neat addition to the texture of each forkful.

Nina swears by her mango cheesecake (pictured below), although her personal favorite is Lara’s brownie cheesecake, which I have yet to try. Meanwhile, I am looking forward to trying more of her cream puffs later this weekend. I am also interested in what looks like a leche flan cake (I forget what it was called), which is also pictured below. Whatever the case, (or, in this case, whichever the cake), though, I know one thing: the Little Chef is a treat for my personal sweet tooth, and I know I won’t stop buying whatever it is Lara has to offer.

If you’re interested in inquiring about her cakes and prices, her contact details are in the calling card I posted earlier on this post. Meanwhile, you may see more photos of her pastries after the jump.

littlechef_cupcakes

Cupcakes, by The Little Chef

 
littlechef_mangocheesecake

Mango Cheesecake by The Little Chef

 
littlechef_lecheflancake

Leche Flan Cake by The Little Chef

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...