Skip to main content

A Note on that Dookie

The other day, Green Day’s album “Dookie” turned twenty years old. Read that sentence again. Dookie is twenty years old. Twenty years since people have been banging their heads to Basketcase (undeniably the most successful single to come out of that album). Twenty years since Billy Joe Armstrong’s signature voice broke through the mainstream (at least, here in the Philippines).

Green_Day_-_Dookie_cover

Yes. Taken from Dookie’s Wikipedia page.

Man. Twenty years. I wasn’t even listening to Green Day when Dookie came out. I was just starting to get into my Eraserheads groove at the time, freshly armed with my miniature Lumanog. I only really started listening to Green Day when I stepped into high school, and learned the magical beauty of overdriven guitars, drum and bass pumping pure adrenaline through your veins, and dischordant singing.

Basketcase was always a fun song to play since the chord progression was so simple that you can sing it while playing it on the guitar without sounding like a tool. I didn’t know much of the other songs in the album, either. Hell, I didn’t know how to play that many songs on the guitar at the time, and was better at improv than actually playing (this remains true to this day).

But I knew Basketcase because it was always on NU107, and that was the default radio station in the car ever since Campus Radio (I forget the frequency of Campus Radio) started playing too many pop songs for my taste.

It was later—much later—when I would have the time to listen to the entirety of Dookie and I’d recognize some songs through their bassline (Longview, for example, or She, both had exceptional grooves). Mike Dirnt is an underappreciated bass player, and now, as a reformed ex-bassist, I can’t help but focus on how solid the backbone of almost all the songs on Dookie are because of the tight rhythm section. In retrospect, I probably developed a good ear for dominant chords partly because of Basketcase. And to this day, I prefer playing and listening to songs with an active rhythm section.

So happy 20th birthday, Dookie. (Some) of your songs were cathartic for a teenager of the 90s, and my appreciation of music probably wouldn’t be the same if it weren’t for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...