Skip to main content

How A Meat Eater Became an Omnivore

My family is a largely carnivorous group. And I wasn’t that different, for quite a long time. I grew up knowing the sweet crunch of pork, the neutral taste of chicken, and the strong, earthy taste of beef.

homer beef
Mmm, beef. Taken from Meme Generator.

Today, I can’t understand why the various members of my family keep on gorging on meat nonstop, only pausing to take in the random cabbage and lettuce. That’s because those are “salad veggies”, and therefore easy to prepare.

This is also one of the reasons why I distrust salads. I can eat them, but I’d much rather stir fry lettuce with chopped onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and some nuts. I mean, you’re putting olive oil over that vinaigrette anyway, aren’t you? Make it yummier by applying the science of heat!

But for all my bellyaching, the sad truth is that I could never bring myself to eat vegetables as a kid. My go-to meat was chicken for the longest time, and I have to say that it still remains one of my favorite viands to this day. In fact, I devoted a whole chapter in one of the stories I’m working on to the art of eating chicken.

I’ve made a couple of changes to the kind of food I try to enjoy in the past decade, though. It started innocently enough; I was getting sick of the fried pork chop and fried chicken being sold at almost all of the eateries where I was working at the time, so I wandered into this little lugawan that also sold a whole bunch of viands for cheap. I picked out something that looked like something I would eat—in this case, ginataang puso ng saging—and settled down to eat.

Thus began my love for the colorful foods from the vegetarian end of the spectrum. I never knew that something as simple as banana hearts stewed in coconut milk would turn out to be so good! I was soon introduced to its spiritual brother, ginataang langka, which was unripe jackfruit cooked as a vegetable in coconut milk, and that became my favorite vegetable dish of all time (which, for some strange reason, people can’t seem to understand).

I don’t know what it was about coconut milk-stewed food that attracts me. It could be because Filipino chicken curry always uses gata as a base ingredient, and I always loved chicken curry. So transitioning from curry to ginataang langka wasn’t that far of a stretch.

And you know what? I can no longer stand eating nothing but meat for days on end. When I start sweating sticky, oily sweat, I instinctively switch from meat to vegetable matter whenever I can. And it’s cheaper, too! An order of veggies is Php25 versus the average Php40 for an order of meat. I get the added benefit of feeling healthier and cleaner, to boot.

Do I no longer eat meat? No, I don’t think I can survive without eating chicken or pork. Or steak. But I think that I’m far better off having included a wide variety of veggies in my diet—not just langka or banana hearts. Currently, I am rather fond of yardlong beans, sigarilyas, pumpkins—a childhood favorite—and peppers! And I can’t wait to try other, more exotic veggies. Just don’t expect me to turn vegan, yo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...