Skip to main content

How A Meat Eater Became an Omnivore

My family is a largely carnivorous group. And I wasn’t that different, for quite a long time. I grew up knowing the sweet crunch of pork, the neutral taste of chicken, and the strong, earthy taste of beef.

homer beef
Mmm, beef. Taken from Meme Generator.

Today, I can’t understand why the various members of my family keep on gorging on meat nonstop, only pausing to take in the random cabbage and lettuce. That’s because those are “salad veggies”, and therefore easy to prepare.

This is also one of the reasons why I distrust salads. I can eat them, but I’d much rather stir fry lettuce with chopped onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and some nuts. I mean, you’re putting olive oil over that vinaigrette anyway, aren’t you? Make it yummier by applying the science of heat!

But for all my bellyaching, the sad truth is that I could never bring myself to eat vegetables as a kid. My go-to meat was chicken for the longest time, and I have to say that it still remains one of my favorite viands to this day. In fact, I devoted a whole chapter in one of the stories I’m working on to the art of eating chicken.

I’ve made a couple of changes to the kind of food I try to enjoy in the past decade, though. It started innocently enough; I was getting sick of the fried pork chop and fried chicken being sold at almost all of the eateries where I was working at the time, so I wandered into this little lugawan that also sold a whole bunch of viands for cheap. I picked out something that looked like something I would eat—in this case, ginataang puso ng saging—and settled down to eat.

Thus began my love for the colorful foods from the vegetarian end of the spectrum. I never knew that something as simple as banana hearts stewed in coconut milk would turn out to be so good! I was soon introduced to its spiritual brother, ginataang langka, which was unripe jackfruit cooked as a vegetable in coconut milk, and that became my favorite vegetable dish of all time (which, for some strange reason, people can’t seem to understand).

I don’t know what it was about coconut milk-stewed food that attracts me. It could be because Filipino chicken curry always uses gata as a base ingredient, and I always loved chicken curry. So transitioning from curry to ginataang langka wasn’t that far of a stretch.

And you know what? I can no longer stand eating nothing but meat for days on end. When I start sweating sticky, oily sweat, I instinctively switch from meat to vegetable matter whenever I can. And it’s cheaper, too! An order of veggies is Php25 versus the average Php40 for an order of meat. I get the added benefit of feeling healthier and cleaner, to boot.

Do I no longer eat meat? No, I don’t think I can survive without eating chicken or pork. Or steak. But I think that I’m far better off having included a wide variety of veggies in my diet—not just langka or banana hearts. Currently, I am rather fond of yardlong beans, sigarilyas, pumpkins—a childhood favorite—and peppers! And I can’t wait to try other, more exotic veggies. Just don’t expect me to turn vegan, yo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.