Skip to main content

Because Social Networks are Anything But Social

I detest Facebook. Detest it because it consists of nothing but the detritus of all human waste. Day in and day out, you see nothing but people posting about pedestrianism, the last meal they ate, something cool (!) on the Internet, or their latest kitty photo. I’m guilty of all that, except that I take photos of my food AFTER it’s been eaten, and my cat is a macho noisy lazy butt who can put all of your Caturday photos to shame. I copied my girlfriend in that we both decided to skip checking Facebook all the time, and just go back to it every so often—in my case, every weekend, unless work demands it, in which case I probably don’t check it properly at all.

facebook the devil
That’s pretty accurate. Image taken from this blog.

That was one helluva long paragraph there. But the fact is, that’s the only sufficient way one can efficiently share the emotions one can feel when discussing something as nasty as Facebook. Twitter, at least, offers information, and Instagram—well, I don’t use Instagram so I’m good.

But the fact is, Facebook is the only game in town.

It’s like Love Radio and Yes FM. The stations have this irritating advertisement that says people either listen to only Love or Yes, as shown by two different surveys. The thing is, the only stations available are either Love or Yes, and everybody else is trying to ape them, but lack the charm of DJs like Papa Jack or Glenn Garci (I’m not even sure if Glenn’s still working for those stations), so they’re the only game in town.

Or SM, Robinson’s, or Ayala in Manila. There are tons of other malls like the Marketplace, Landmark, or even Odeon in Recto, but everybody flocks to the big three since they’re the only game in town worth copying, and unless you’re an established name like Virra Mall—which was bought by SM recently, if I’m not mistaken—then you’re liable to lose money.

And that’s what Facebook and Twitter are. Except that Twitter actively limits what you have to say. Facebook, on the other hand, even lets you post decapitation videos with an unclear caveat. So again, when it comes to free speech, Facebook is the only game in town.

And that sucks balls, y’all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...