Skip to main content

Street: Right of Way

I don’t know why, but we Filipinos are too nice. There’s nothing wrong with asserting your right when you are absolutely sure that you’ve got the right to be an ass to other people.

Take the simple act of keeping the sidewalk free for pedestrians. The thing with Manila is that most sidewalks are puny. There’s hardly any space for the average pedestrian to walk two abreast down one of the many sidewalks in this blasted city. And to make matters worse, other folks start claiming the portion of the sidewalk that’s in front of their property as part of their property, thereby blocking the sidewalk even further, forcing the average pedestrian to stroll happily down the freaking road.

And then you have the sidewalk vendors. Oh man. How I love those guys. Have you ever tried walking up and down the section of Pedro Gil in Manila going from Taft Avenue to Robinson’s Place Manila? That sidewalk is so strewn with vendors that people walking to and from the LRT have to literally wait for the person walking opposite him to pass in order to keep the traffic sensible.

But they’re not the worst of it, no. The worst are those motorcycles who think that just because they’re on two wheels, it gives them the right to use sidewalks as their roads. Listen, I walk across Nagtahan Bridge in the mornings for my workout. When I’m coming back from R. Magsaysay, I’m walking with the traffic. And then suddenly behind me, I hear these guys honking, asking me to make way so that they could pass. Of course, I look behind me, and bless me if it isn’t one or two of them blasted motorcycles trying to inch their way past the early morning traffic jam.

Well, nuts to them. I’m a fat man, so I’m rather huge, so I try not to stray from the middle of the sidewalk, and keep them from passing, up until a section of the road frees up. I mean, this is a sidewalk, for crying out loud, not your personal freeway. Bicycles I could understand, because those guys have to haul ass just to get their bikes up the bridge. But you guys are motorcycles. You are powered by gasoline. Stick to the goddamn road.

I don’t understand why Pinoys have this nasty habit of ignoring the right of way in the streets. Whether it’s the jeepney driver just trying to “make a living” or if it’s the motorcycle driver trying to make headway through the traffic, everybody’s just too much in a damn hurry to remember that there are rules to be followed when you’re on the street, and that those rules are there to prevent other motorists (or pedestrians like me) from heading up to you and beating your head out with a bat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.