Skip to main content

Clients who Don’t Pay are a Pain in the Butt

If you’re working in the BPO sector like I and a vast majority of my friends do, then you will often have to deal with clients who don’t pay.

The excuse usually ranges from the awfully simple (“This is not what I asked for, therefore I do not wish to pay”), to the equally awful—with a bizarre twist (I sent the payment to xxxx address. Was that not yours?” Trust me: this has happened to me).

The easiest way of dealing with the former is to return the work to your workers, and help them find a way to use it for themselves. Or you could publish them on shared earnings websites, and inform your writers of the situation. These problems are usually easy to deal with, if you’re working with manpower.

The bigger question is what you do about the client. The fact is that the jerkface just cost you money, and more importantly, time. But ironically, the improvement digital communication hasn’t done anything to help small individuals from third-world countries sue potentially bigger entities in first world communities. One problem lies in the anonymity of the Internet. If you rely on the ‘net for your work, then there’s a good chance that your money’s gone into the ether, never to be seen again.

I’ve seen a lot of folks have this exact problem before, and these people usually just let the money go. That’s one attitude to take, and I don’t disapprove of it. There’s nothing to be gained from holding a grudge and seeking revenge for a measly $500 payment. The stress and emotional turmoil this can cause isn’t worth it, and can even prevent you from moving on with your business. You don’t want that to happen, especially if this is your bread and butter. Do what you need to get over your emotions, and decide what your next move is going to be with a clear head.

However, there are times when you’d like to report them to the proper authorities. Sure, if you have the resources, you can chase after them through the proper channels. The US provides a lot of avenues for offshore service providers to complain about this or that service. You just need to be patient, since the wheels of justice turn slowly for somebody who isn’t even an American. There’s a good chance, even, that the US government will take the side of the guilty party. So it’s really a pretty hit-or-miss thing.

Whatever the case, just remember one thing: keep your cool. You won’t be able to do anything if you blow your top over something like this. Remember, you’re just one guy fishing in a sea of infinite possibilities. If you start going berserk, there’s a good chance that you will capsize your boat, and that’s the last thing you want to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...