Skip to main content

We are a Country of Ultranationalists Brimming with Righteous Indignation (II)

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned the Great Book Blockade of 2009. When I first read about this, I was just like everybody else in thinking that it was all about the government making another quick buck, except that this was money made from information that was supposedly an easily accessible commodity. Needless to say, I thought it was stupid, and proceeded to share it throughout the Internet community.

This was during the early days of the book blockade. The only people who’ve made mention of it was the origin source and Manuel L. Quezon III. And then the news hit the fan, and Facebook and Twitter got into the picture.

A disclaimer: I am not for the book blockade. I am also against any and all illegal forms of taxation. I believe that the government needs to make money, but the gargantuan amount of money involved in the salary of government heads is ridiculous. You want more money? Cut back on positional salaries, and spread out the corresponding backwash to the rest of the employees.

That said, I think the widespread reaction of the Pinoy public – or at least, the Pinoy Internet public – to the book blockade was another glorious example of the Filipino’s willingness to take up arms at the drop of a hat. What struck me about it was the fact that this time around, it was the educated masses / middle class trumpeting around (on the Internet). I’m pretty used to the masses taking up arms whenever the government screws up with this or that issue, but I’ve never seen people from the same demographic as I was screw the government over with their democratic right to protest.

I’m not putting the surprisingly strong reaction to the book blockade down. It brought things to a rather speedy resolution (faster than how things usually go here in the Philippines), and I’m very thankful. It’s also very nice to actually see democracy working smoothly for once.

But I just can’t help but wonder. If the power of the Internet-driven Pinoy community was that great, it’s a wonder people haven’t tried to levy for a decrease in gasoline prices via Facebook. Or they hadn’t called for the exposition of First Gentleman Mike Arroyo by Twitter. Heck, it’s actually a wonder that there aren’t any online petitions calling to end Jejomar Binay’s plans to run in the 2010 elections.

See what I’m talking about? The curious variable in this whole mess was that the only reason these guys went to the streets – er, what’s the Internet equivalent? – was because it involved something they held to be important. This only serves to point out the old adage of infernal dynamics: The energy required to move an object in the correct direction, or put it in the right place, will be more than you wish to expend but not so much as to make the task impossible.

Meaning people will only move when they think the cause is worth their while. But as to what my own demographic considers important, well. You could say that that’s a whole new ball game.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...