Skip to main content

More On Superheroes

I've been mentioning left and right that The Dark Knight (once again, I say, if you haven't seen it, you must, for great justice) was a harbinger, the proverbial catalyst for the evolution of superhero film adaptations. And the fun thing is, a lot of critics from Rotten Tomatoes seem to be in agreement: the genre is going to be so shaken up after this that we literally don't know what to expect next.

This article, though, sheds light on a different angle: The Dark Knight could be the meteor that killed off all the superhero movie dinosaurs. Well-written and highly intelligent, this piece pokes around in nearly a decade that saw films festooned with tight-wearing crusaders with a taste for vigilante justice. And while I'd like to be optimistic about how things look for the geek culture ever since Iron Man and The Dark Knight aired, I can't help but grudgingly agree to A. Scott's article: the strains of repeated platitudes and ideals, a lacking sense of finality, and plots loosely based on a formula of sorts, are showing on the genre.

I mean, I couldn't help but cry out for bloody murder when SPOILER Gordon was killed at the end of The Dark Knight's first act END SPOILER. That alone, the fact that change is almost always a bad thing for a comic book franchise, can become a pretty big problem when it comes to developing the characters for a film adaptation.

And the most alarming thing of all is that most of the big film production companies have announced big-name films in the making, enough films to last the industry for the next few years. Right off the bat, I could name a few:

  • Iron Man 2
  • X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  • The Green Hornet
  • Thor
  • Watchmen
  • Tintin (I consider this a comic book superhero)
  • G.I. Joe (this, too)
  • Hercules (uh huh)
  • The Avengers
  • Justice League
  • The Last Airbender (an adaptation of a good cartoon)

the list goes on. It can be pretty mind-boggling. Most of these films have already gone into production, so if the superhero bubble bursts before even half of the films are out, it could turn out to be a very gristly turn of events for filmmakers and consumers alike.

Of course, we've been living with superhero films for a long time (let's not forget the Adam West Batman: the Movie, or classic underrated films like The Phantom or The Shadow). So who's to say when the public has had enough?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...