Skip to main content

Four Reasons Why We’re Never Going to Improve as a People (Or Why Martin Hates Motorbikes)

People keep looking for a better Philippines, but then they end up doing things that prevent a better Philippines from happening. And in case you didn’t get it from that first sentence, this is a post dripping in irony, sarcasm, and perhaps more than one cuss word, so I’m going to cut the article after this paragraph. You have been warned. Click on if you wish to read, or look at the pretty picture, then leave.

jesus bridge

Jesus bridge when it was being demolished. It’s better now. From Balita.

Okay, so this whole shitstorm of a post brewed in my head just the other day. See, one of the main bridges going into Pandacan—named the Jesus (HE-soos, not GEE-suhs) Bridge—is undergoing repair and reinforcement.

Now, the construction’s gotten to a point wherein people could cross through one side of the bridge. However, since the cement and all the components are still fresh and liable to break apart, motorized vehicles aren’t allowed entry through the bridge, and are advised to take the detour.

This is where it starts.

We are inherently incapable of following directions

The ramp approaching the bridge stoutly says “NO ENTRY TO MOTORIZED VEHICLES”. There were barriers keeping motorcycles and such from crossing through the bridge.

Imagine my surprise and indignation when, while I was walking home from Nagtahan, a motorbike approached the bridge. He asked (to nobody in particular) if the barriers were locked.

Then he proceeded to lift the barrier out of the way so that he could enter the bridge area, completely disregarding the motherfucking safety precautions taken by the construction workers working on the bridge.

We are incapable of listening to reason

The biggest mistake this guy did when he lifted the barriers to cross Jesus bridge (aside from disregarding the precaution signs) was to do it while I was there.

When he started to lift the barriers, I went up to him and told him that the bridge was off limits to motorbikes. The dick didn’t listen, and just kept on moving the barriers. When he was done, he slowly drove through the bridge.

I was incensed. Here, I thought, was a jerk who didn’t know how to follow directions. So I shouted at him, telling him to at least put back the damn barriers since what he was doing was essentially, oh I dunno, breaking the fucking law. If he got caught (he didn’t, the bastard), he was the one who was going to suffer.

He didn’t listen. He went to the other side of the bridge, lifted the barriers there, then drove off.

We follow people who do things—even if we shouldn’t

This wouldn’t have been so bad if it were an isolated incident. The dude may have had to go to the john really badly. He might have been crapping his pants while he was lifting the barriers (yes, they were heavy; I put them back).

But since he didn’t return them, other bikes went up the ramp to follow his lead. I was indignant, and rushed to the barriers, closing them before other bikes could follow the first three that went through.

Of course the other bikers were pissed at me, and I told them they could very well fuck off and either lift the barriers themselves when I was gone, or they could suck it up and follow the goddamned detour because that was the fucking thing they were supposed to do.

I don’t know if they waited for me to go so that they could pass through the bridge, or if they decided to take the detour. I didn’t wait to find out.

Authority figures aren’t

At the foot of the Jesus bridge is a police station. I mean, what the fuck, guys.

***

The moral of this story is that I hate Pinoys who think they’re better than the law, I hate motorbikers because they ALWAYS think that they’re specialized vehicles because they’re smaller (FUCK YOU IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE), and if anybody tries to cross that bridge on a motorbike while it’s closed when I’m walking past it will be tossed head-first into the estero. Because fuck you, assholes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.