Skip to main content

Carmageddon

It's a busy morning, so I'm writing this from my mobile phone. Bear with me, folks.

Just some talking points on the so-called "trafficgeddon" that's poised to sweep over the metropolis starting today:

1. Why are they undertaking projects of this magnitude all at the same time? Why couldn't they have started on some of them - perhaps the ones that have been in the drawing board for some time now - a few years back? What's so special about 2014?

2. To that point, just how efficient is their implementation plan, for both the execution of all the projects, and the contingency plans? I don't think I speak for myself when I say that I have plenty of doubts for the local governments to efficiently deal with the amount of traffic that will be rerouted. I mean, that's what all the highways they're improving are for, right?

3. They're improving both the LRT and the MRT, but what of the PNR? I've been taking the old at-grade railroads a bit frequently for some time now, and I can say with finality that the only problems with that train are accessibility, number of trains, and the equipment. I don't think the government is utilising this line enough, and that's quite sad, given it's potential.

4. Why are they overdeveloping Manila? Given the amount of resources they're spending on all these PPP road projects, you'd think they'd have plenty to improve the economy of other non-Manila cities. Cavite, or Laguna, for example. The problem with Manila isn't that the traffic is terrible - well, it isn't the MAIN problem - but that everybody's going into the metro. What's wrong with developing other cities so that the population shifts from Manila to elsewhere?

5. What is the government's plan to counteract the pollution all of these new roads are going to bring? An elevated skyway passing through the very heart of the capital? A new highway connecting both north and south expressways? Another interchange? Moar cars, moar traffic, moar pollution. What're they gonna do about it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...