Skip to main content

A Quiet Spot in the Capital

A couple of weeks ago, I was given the privilege of writing about Casa Roces, which became one of my favorite restos in the metro just after one visit!

The fact is, I’ve been wanting to go and pay this place a visit for the longest time, since it was supposed to be one of those hole-in-the-wall restaurants that promised you a great dining experience. In theory, it sorta reminded me of Fat Michael’s back when it was still Bangkal’s well-kept secret. I was pleased to know that there was something like that in the area I lived in, and I was excited to try out their food.

But you know how life goes: you want to go check something out, and then circumstances prevent you from doing so by slapping you with the harsh reality that work doesn’t wait.

And then one day, while I was bumming around by going through Twitter, I read that a friend who was out of town had been given the opportunity to eat at Casa Roces for free. Since she wasn’t around, she was looking for folks who could take the offer in her stead. Since I wasn’t one to pass on an opportunity to eat for free, I signed up, and got the chance to try out the place’s food.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that it was a gastronomic experience beyond anything else – although the food was pretty good, as you can read from my review in Manila Foodistas – but I loved the place instantly. See, the entire restaurant was the old Roces mansion in San Miguel, and the folks who refurbished the whole place hardly changed any of the components throughout the house. The tiles were refurbished, the furniture were rehabilitated, and what couldn’t be fixed – such as the old winch-driven window shutters – were kept as is, and maintained on a regular basis. There was no dearth of identity throughout the house, and I could instantly imagine myself staying there for an entire day, getting lost in my writing.

It didn’t hurt that the place was right beside Malacañan Palace, of course. The main difficulty of making your way to Casa Roces was that you had no other choice but to go out the way you came in, since either ends of J.P. Laurel’s section of the Malacañan compound were heavily guarded by air force personnel. But that gives it the added value of being secluded. You won’t have to deal with the hustle and bustle of the city as you sipped your cappuccino, and you certainly won’t need to deal with the people who’d go to other coffee shops like Starbucks or The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, since these establishments are full of noisy tweens and yuppies.

So if you’re a creative type, and you want to get some work done at a quiet place in the city, give Casa Roces a shot. But don’t let all of your friends know. Let’s keep the place secluded, shall we?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.