Skip to main content

AI wish I, wish I could

 It's fairly easy to think of the rise of AI as the next revolution in the history of humanity, in that the industrial revolution essentially created jobs for individuals by running craftsmen out of business. The blacksmith, smelter, and basically many fabricants in the old ways had to bow down to the superior manufacturing power of the fabrication plant, and the parallels between that upheaval and the one that’s burgeoning today are just too similar to each other.

Photo by Pavel Danilyuk

They’re saying that creators are the ones at risk this time around. Writers (like myself) are on the chopping block, once AI writers like chatGPT become capable of writing stuff that sounds like it was written by a genuine human being. Artists are also in danger, since things like Nightcafe and Openart exist, and can do within a much shorter span of time what it would normally take a single artist days of work. Even coders – simple coders who write lines of front-end code – might be in trouble, since these AI apps can, again, do their work within minutes.

In short, using AI is faster and more efficient, which makes it such a nifty tool for businesses.

But I’ve always thought that the person who doesn’t see an opportunity when it presents itself is a pretty sad excuse for an individual (slur notwithstanding). The opportunity that AI presents to creators, like myself, this time around is challenging, but one that doesn’t have to mean the end of our craft. AI might just be the next step in the craft’s evolution, and if people within my industry don’t make good use of these tools, then we might be left behind in the times, leading to our obsolescence.

This isn’t to advocate the replacement of hard work with AI work; in fact, working with AI presents its own unique challenges, such as making the text sound human enough so that it doesn’t come off wooden or dry. But these types of tools can make the challenge of creating new work much MUCH more efficient, especially when you know how to get your tools to do exactly what you need them to do.

The revolution is in its infancy, and there’s plenty of room to grow and make mistakes, for sure. But in the short time I’ve worked with AI platforms, I’ve been more impressed with the amount of grunt work it removes from my day-to-day work than I have been horrified at the potential implications. Theoretically, this can increase my personal productivity by at least 40% (I think), and that’s no mean feat. And if I give anybody who works for me the permission to use these tools as well, that’s going to make things a lot more efficient.

Sure, there’s the challenge of making sure that the content isn’t just pulled willy-nilly from thin air. Each AI-generated piece of content needs to be thoroughly fact-checked afterward before it gets turned in. There’s also the unfortunate reality that chatGPT’s intelligence only contains information up to 2021, meaning you’ll need to spoon-feed it some of the information you need to keep things current or evergreen. But these are just minor drawbacks. There’s no doubt in my mind that the technology will eventually outgrow this.

The only problem I see on the horizon is the pricing some of these platforms will begin to charge once the technology’s pretty solid. The whole concept of using AI is to reduce expenses while increasing productivity in my opinion. If the technology doesn’t keep its rates lower than the monthly payment a third-world country like mine would pay a full-time worker, then it ceases being cost-efficient. But, again, that remains to be seen. For now, the price of admission is freeware, and it’s best to get used to the technology and its boons and pitfalls as best as we can.

And no, I still believe in the importance of being able to write a piece from scratch all on your own. That bit takes a special kind of discipline, one that creators should never, ever lose. Also, kudos if you get the title hehehe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.