Skip to main content

Van Halen's Dreams

I don't exactly remember how it went down, but when I heard about Eddie Van Halen's passing, I had to stop and take a beat. This wasn't one of those moments where you feel the end of an era, as what many probably felt with the recent passing of Justice Ginsburg. But for myself, and I imagine many people my age or a decade older with some interest in heavy epic guitar music, this was a personal loss.

Which was funny, because I wasn't particluarly a big fan of Eddie Van Halen – or the band Van Halen, for that matter – what with the band being formed way before I was born. And throughout my formative musical years, I wasn't exposed to their music very much. When I was younger, it was The Beatles, The Shadows, or The Ventures, or The Brothers Four courtesy of my dad, and everything else we had on tape. 

This continued on to my teenage years, where I swapped out Disney albums for the Eraserheads and heavier stuff. And when I started playing in an amateur band with a bunch of friends, more technical influences started making their way towards my playlist. This was back when Napster / Limewire was a thing, and you actually had to store your songs on your computer – you can just imagine how long my list was, and how much space it occupied in my old computer's drive.

At around this time, I was already familiar with what is perhaps the most popular of Van Halen's songs. This would be Jump, which sounded like a cheesy anthem of sorts, and sounded like the epitome of what the 80s sounded like (I would discover this much later). I appreciated the melody of both the guitars and the keys, but being a teenager, I was a much bigger fan of what I considered then to be guitar acrobatics. But the song itself had no edge to it, and so I didn't explore the band much further. 

And then I went on to become a bass player, so the musicality of Eddie's guitar faded into the background of my subconscious. Hey, I wasn't going to become a jack of all trades. 

In 2007, I lived on my own for the first time, and also had my own ISP at the same time. That gave me some freedom to expand my musical horizons, and for some reason or another, I started looking into Van Halen. And that was where I discovered Panama, which to this day remains the Van Halen song for me. It had everything! The guitars were perfect. There was plenty of crunch, and Eddie had such a bright, musical tone that made for the perfect pinch harmonics. This mattered more to me than his tapping and brilliant use of the tremolo. 

And that bridge! Every time I listen to that bridge, I can picture myself in the middle of an especially hot portion of Interstate 49, nothing but road and emptiness around me, the horizon shimmering in the heat. 

That was where I realized what I mentioned earlier – that while they certainly didn't originate it, Van Halen was arguably the definitive sound of 80s rock music. There was heavy use of synthesizers, guitars with bright tones and soaring highs, and something that made you think of hair, for some reason. They share a lot of similarities with other bands during that decade, from Michael Jackson (Billie Jean) to Def Leppard (Pour Some Sugar on Me). And this was even evident in the many cartoons that came out at the time. Just check out the Transformers movie that came out in 1986. The Touch sounds just like a Van Halen song (it isn't).

Just the other day, I came across Fuseboxx's Abby Clutario performing a muted, almost prayerlike version of Van Halen's Dreams on the Chapman Stick. She chose to play the chorus portion, which reads thus:

So baby dry your eyes, save all

The tears you've cried

Oh that's what dreams are made of

Oh baby we belong in a world that must be strong

Oh that's what dreams are made of

And in the end on dreams we will depend

'Cause that's what love is made of

which, I think is absolutely beautiful. Especially with everything that's going on in the world today. We're currently stuck in this infinite covid-19 loop and we don't know if we're ever going to go back to the way things were, or if that's even going to be what normal looks like in the next three to five years. But the human capacity to dream is pretty neat, and it's what has sustained humanity through the many hurdles it's had to overcome throughout the centuries. And as Sammy Hagar's lyrics says, in the end, it's on these same dreams that we'll be depending on. 

It's cheesy, I know. And trite, especially considering how things are now. But I think that's exactly the point of the song, and the reason why Abby chose to cover that very specific bit in tribute to Eddie. Sometimes, the one thing that will help us to get past the issues we're facing is the cheesiest, least original of things. A cat on the internet. A cute picture of a dog. Or an uplifting song about the power of dreams. Give Eddie a listen below. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.