Skip to main content

Lifting


lifting weights

One of the things I've been doing recently is lifting weights. This isn't exactly news to most people, as I've been exercising seriously on and off for more than a decade now. But what's different this time? Well, I think the biggest difference lies in the fact that I'm not just lifting bodyweight. This time around, I'm trying to graduate to more serious weights.





Okay, so maybe more serious is a little bit over the top. I'm only lifting a max of 80 to 100 pounds on the bar as it is, which is hardly something any serious weight training enthusiast would call impressive, not when most of them are repping 200 to 300 on the deadlift regularly. As far as the weightlifting world is concerned, I'm just a blip. A baby.

But with this shift from pure bodyweight lifting comes a shift from trying to lose weight to trying to gain mass. To which I'm pretty sure most of you would go and say, but dude you're already pretty massive as it is. Fat man today, remember? And I'm going to say yeah, I'm pretty massive.

The thing is, though, is that I'm fat-massive. Not only is being fat massive not something you'd call densely massive, but it's also the bad type of massive to be. Being composed of mostly fat leads to a lot of terrible life illnesses, especially when you hit your later years in life, and honestly, that bites. But shift some of that weight from pure fat to pure muscle, and a lot of nice, happy changes occur.

You start moving better. That's because there's more muscle supporting your frame, which means that the symptoms of stuff like osteoathritis are compensated for by denser muscle. You sacrifice a little flexibility by packing on the armadillo hide, but on the whole, I'd much rather be rigid on my own two feet than flexible in a wheelchair due to arthritis-riddled knees.

You also get the ability to carry heavier things. That comes in really handy here in the Philippines. I remember one time I had to move a small fridge up a flight of stairs due to severe flooding, and while I was able to do it, I can't help but imagine just how much better things would've been if I were able to deadlift that baby without throwing out my back. The same goes for carrying grocery bags too.

And finally, your bones get better. There's an old saying that my dad used to tell me about my grandfather, who was a swimming coach. He always made his team drink milk in order to ensure that their bones had plenty of calcium. That's because swimming works the muscles, but not the bones; apparently, working in a low-gravity environment doesn't do much for strengthening your bones. Who knew?

But this is also the same reason why astronauts don't spend too much time out in space. Stronger bones are made when you lift a weight against gravity. Which is why lifting weights is such a good exercise for folks with osetoporosis.

I'm nowhere near lifting what monsters like Eddie Hall or Brian Shaw are lifting. And I'm not even sure that I want to get to that point. But I definitely enjoy lifting weights more than plodding along on the treadmill (although a good brisk walk is good too, once in a while, don't get me wrong). Do I have a set goal? Nothing concrete as of the moment. But I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm happy with being able to consistently lift my current max weight by the end of this year.

Let's just hope I don't get too lazy, eh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.