Skip to main content

Five Things You Learn With Having a Dog Inside the House

My niece got herself a little dog recently. I’m not really that fond of dogs; they’re high maintenance creatures and take quite a bit of patience to train. Unlike cats, who you don’t really train. You just adapt to them, and everybody’s happy.

zardos the cat

Cats Master Race. All Your Gigs are Belong to Me.

But this dog – a (currently) three-month old Jack Russell terrier – is something else. She’s a really friendly dog, and aside from all the pooping and the barking and the yapping and the peeing, she’s quite the charmer. Now if only we could find a way to get past the chewing.

But here are some of the things I’ve learned about having a cat and a dog in the same house:

1. Cats master race—the dog is scared to death of the cat. I thought for a short while there that we were going for a friendly cat and dog relationship. Nope. The dog did something (I have no idea what), and the cat found it annoying. All it took was one swift bat with the left paw, and the dog now cowers in fear of Zardos.

2. Dogs in the teething stage suck—the little dog is obviously in the teething stage of its development. It goes around to chew on everything—legs, pantlegs, slippers, plants, name it and it’s probably sunk its teeth into it. The funny thing is that being three months old, it can’t really do that much damage. So basically, the little girl’s just practicing her snout. And my batting hand.

3. I remember now why I dislike dogs so much—Land mines. Keep the dog inside the house at night, and you’ve got land mines all over the place. Keep the dog outside, and the plants suffer, along with land mines. Keep her caged, and you’re going to feel like a terrible human being. Either way, you just can’t win.

4. Dogs rubbing their heads against you—is nothing like a cat rubbing its head against you. Dogs drool a lot, and they’re clumsy! Cats, on the other hand, have mastered the art of head-butting and head-rubbing, and do so with plenty of style.

5. Despite everything written here, I find that I am slowly falling in love with the dog—I tried to stay distant, but once you run around with a dog, you’re up for a lot of fun. Everybody’s fallen for her clumsy, slack-jawed charm, and she’s a funny respite from the (mostly asleep) countenance of Zardos.

And there you have it. The five things I’ve learned with having dogs inside the house. I probably will learn more as I go along (including the best way to keep her from depositing gifts all over the house), and I will probably eventually end up loving her despite her shortcomings. Which I will slowly come to accept much like a cat does its owner’s doting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...