Skip to main content

Reading is the Writer’s Bane

Reading takes up too much time. This is the reason I don’t write; I read all the time. Which is a pretty big paradox in my opinion, since you need to be a good reader to become a great writer.

books

Some time ago, I asked several writing and non-writing friends this question: do you feel guilty about making time out of your busy schedule to write? Because let me tell you, I do. I feel VERY guilty, in fact, because that eats a chunk out of my time to do other things. Running your own business means that you need to be enterprising enough to find a way to market your own work, look for clients, keep track of employees (if you have any) and output (your own or others’), and make decisions that affect every aspect of your business day in and day out. Needless to say, it can be very taxing, and as you keep going, you will find that you will spend more of your day with your head buried in text that other people wrote.

Let’s use my field as an example. With the online industry being shaken up by updates from Google, Facebook, and Amazon, what makes a good search marketer is slowly becoming more and more uncertain. I need to keep on reading what the experts in the field think, and figure out how to apply that to what my writers do. Sometimes, it’s more of the same, but once in a while, a big update hits without people knowing about it – and if I don’t read about it early on, the work we’re doing suffers in quality. So if I stop reading, I’m going to make less money than I need.

Another thing that takes up a lot of my time is talking to people. But since I’m usually caged away from civilization, and most everybody I know is online, talking entails chat conversations. And chatting entails reading.

The same goes for dealing with clients. I rarely find clients who would rather Skype call than Skype chat, and half the time, these guys would prefer talking via email. Again, more reading.

And at the end of the day, when you’re winding down and you’re done with the TV shows that you’re following, how do you start to unwind? By reading. I put down the phone / shut off the computer, and pick up a book and read. I know I should be writing, but sometimes your brain just isn’t working at the end of the day. Some of you read your Twitter and Facebook timelines (something I do in the can in the morning).

So where does one find the time to write in this never-ending cycle of reading? And on that note, one would think that in this world of constant reading, everybody would have read enough to make everybody writers of some worth.

But it never has. And it never will. Because writing properly entails practice. Writing takes time. I don’t often quote Copyblogger because most of the content they have to offer up there is a rehash of something somebody else has written for the blog, but this one story, The Old Man and the Pen, really resonated with me, and not on a marketer level.

It doesn’t matter what your medium is. Pen on paper. Fingers on keyboards. If you’re a writer, make the time to write. If you think that writing is the most important thing in your life, then forget everything else and write. Sometimes, just a hundred words a day is enough. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and you won’t become a brilliant wordsmith overnight. In fact, you may never become one at all.

But at least you can stop people on the street, show them that notebook full of scribbles, and tell them, Hey man, check it out. I can WRITE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...