Skip to main content

Morons Abound

The other day, the writer Raissa Robles asked a curious question over Twitter. You can read it after the jump:

rrobles

Strangely enough, on that same day, I was walking through one of the many streets of Paco, quite near the border of Ermita, and a stone’s throw from the Paco Park Cemetery. I was running some errands at the time, and I decided to mix it into my walking schedule.

You know how some vehicle owners who don’t have garages choose to park their cars indefinitely at the curb? Well, that ruins the walking experience for Manileños everywhere due to the fact that our sidewalks are often puny. But if you’ve gotta walk, you’ve gotta walk. So you take your walking experience away from the sidewalk, and into the street, making sure to hug the curb as much as the parked idiots cars would let you.

I was doing this very thing when I met The Idiot in the Mazda3. The black Mazda was parked in front of the Swiss Store across the Garden Plaza Hotel (different from the Old Swiss Inn; the Swiss Store is a great place for buying locally-made foreign sausages, if that makes any sense). As I was passing through the Swiss Store, the Mazda3 starts to slowly back its way out of the driveway.

I freeze, and then I backpedal out of the way of the car’s path. I was like knee-to-bumper close when he started backing up. It didn’t help that he was at the left side of the road, the left being my blind spot. I would have crossed through the Swiss Store (maybe dropped by to look through their wares) but the dude was blocking the driveway.

The Mazda3 slammed on the brakes just as I backed away. I shot the driver a dirty look, circled around the front, in order to make sure that I could see the plates completely and maybe memorize the number, and walked off in a huff. I mean, really, what else would you expect from  rich kid drivers from the Philippines?

You’d think that was the end of that, but no. As I was making my way to the Paco fire station, the driver apparently re-parked his car, and once that was done, he would then get off the car and run after me. I don’t remember the exact conversation, but the dude was basically out to get me for eyeing his plate number. He was saying something like, “Hey man, I don’t care if you can’t see or what, but what the hell were you looking at my car’s plates for?”

What I did was I placated him, apologized, and said that I was just a bit unnerved by the incident. Which made me feel like a tool, since what I should have done was kick his head to the curb until all of his teeth were down his throat. Granting that I was probably wrong for looking at their plate for something that was partially my fault – I wasn’t on the sidewalk, if you recall – the man was being unreasonable for somebody who had nearly run over a pedestrian. And he didn’t even apologize, making it sound like it was my fault completely, when he was the one who wasn’t looking where he was driving.

I don’t know how to drive. I’ve never driven in my life, so I don’t know what it’s like to be behind the wheel. But I maintain that the driver has a bigger responsibility than the pedestrian when he’s on the road, and drivers who act like they’re bigger than the pedestrian should have his throat removed. With a knife.

So Ms. Robles, the answer to your question: the reason why there hasn’t been any poll-related deaths in the US while elections in the Philippines are incomplete without them is this: the rich and powerful of our country are full of violent, insensitive, idiotic, and self-entitled brats like the moron in the Mazda3, and they should all be publicly shot.

Comments

  1. Why do you call Raissa Robles an "erstwhile" writer? She still writes - a lot! On the other hand, yes, your conclusion (last sentence) is absolutely correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that IS true. My apologies, I didn't proofread what I wrote. That has been fixed, and my apologies to Ms. Robles!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...