Skip to main content

The Good Ol’ Days of Blogging

Ayep. They’re over. Back in 2005—I was still over at Tabulas, then—the entire blogging experience was a new, exciting trend. There were thousands of fresh new voices to read over the Internet, aside from the corporate websites that one visited to get new information about the next upcoming Megaman game. And I liked it. I was part of it. I was hipster blogging before hipster even became a word.

Today, you come across blogs that are so spic-and-span, almost clinical to the eye. You hardly see those blogs that looked like guerilla warfare vets hiding in the jungle. That’s because all these new journals are either catering to a given niche, trying to tap into the dwindling non-social media resources of web 2.0, or trying to sound more pretentious than they really are (which is REALLY pretentious).

Can’t say I blame ‘em, though. If I read the blogs of the people I connected with over Tabs nearly a decade ago now, I’d probably lose interest in five minutes. One can only take so much of the minutiae of the daily humdrum lives of the individual journal keeper, eager to strike a poignant nerve in some hapless reader’s heart or mind (I remember the atheists in Tabs—what a riot those guys were), before wishing for the capacity to will oneself to death. I don’t think I could even go through the same number of self-serving blog posts I used to read voraciously back then.

That’s mostly because I hardly have the time to do so now. It’s like reading (no kidding): the more work you need to get done, the less time you have to read. So your mind and body adjusts to speed reading, skimming the surface of what could otherwise be a mine of vibrant information, picking out the details that we think matters. This is forced efficiency due to the lack of the primal resource of time.

I’m not lamenting the loss of those blogs. I don’t want to read cryptic posts from a sad, sappy teen hinting to the possibility of a life-shattering event. That’s emo, kids. And I’m not emo. But the same goes for most of the blogs we have online today; I don’t have the patience to wade through so much information that may or may not have any bearing towards my life. If I wanted information, I’d go to Twitter, or go read a newspaper. If I needed to fan my more creative juices, I’d go read a book.

It’s like, for me, blogging’s lost something in the transition from web 1.0 to web 2.0. Some folks would call it progress. I, and a bunch of my close acquaintances, would call it a soul.

Here’s a video from Kenna, one of his earliest singles, called “Hell Bent”, to end this post. I hope you enjoy.


Kenna - Hell Bent by Kenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.