Skip to main content

The Political Scenery

In the Philippines, we value our politics as much as we value our beer. That said, the effects of both politics and beer in this country are similar; it could lead to fights that are circular and tedious at best, and childish and utterly unproductive at worst.

Which isn’t to say I abhor politics altogether. It just so happens that I’d rather watch than have much of a say, because I discovered that the minute you say something, you automatically take sides. And it’s never good for anybody with even an iota of journalistic training to take sides. At least, that’s what I’d like to think.

Cop out? Maybe. I'm not going to defend myself. But I will say that this is why I have tried, as best as I could, to remain neutral throughout the entire political debacle that is the (automated!) elections in the Philippines this past month. Of course, there’s no way one could remain completely neutral, when clowns like Bong Revilla and Juan Ponce Enrile cling to the senate with a death grip, when anomalies like Manny Pacquiao, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, and that Ampatuan guy (hereafter referred to as TAG) all get elected into public office. But I think that considering my country’s long history of scandalous, bureaucratic, and downright corrupt past elections, I’d have to say that I’m pretty happy that my generation (the last one that made sense, according to Facebook) took a very active part—either in the debates, in the campaigns, or in the elections themselves—in the ushering of a new age.

Sabi nga nila, “iba na ngayon”. Is it, really? We’ll have six years to find out.

To the candidates who won / will win, don’t act like morons and get your shit straight, especially you, Noynoy. If you crap up, the people will have your head, and Bongbong Marcos will be leading the charge (full circle?). To the guys who lost, shut yer traps and accept your defeat. I’m ashamed to say that I know some of you, and these are the guys who are crying foul play like babies (so to speak). To the voters—if your manok won, good for you. If your manok didn’t, then that’s the way it is. I don’t think it’s worth stressing yourself out over the choice of millions of people. Just support the upcoming government, and watch them like a hawk at the same time. That's your job as the citizenry, after all.

In other news, I’m glad the elections are over. That means we won’t be seeing ads of Manong Johnnie in my blog anymore. And my, but aren’t the streets quieter these days?

Comments

  1. I was really pissed at the Binay lead for the first day, but then I remembered that we're fighting for democracy after all, and if Binay does win because of Escudero's endorsement, hey, that's that. It's the will of the people. And hey, Mar can always be assigned an awesome cabinet position.

    I'd like to say "majority," but we can't have a majority with everyone and their moms running for everything. We need some sort of voting reform - I think if we stopped making it so that you can vote for individuals, people would have no choice but to focus on platform. But most of all, I think we need education reform.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...