Skip to main content

Attila

I have these odd moments where I start thinking of the most unwieldy things. This morning, while I was taking a shower, I was pondering on the wise bodybuilder's rule of not working the same muscle out on a daily basis. I've often questioned this rule; you see farmers going about their work everyday, and while the chores vary from day to day, you can't say that they really change the muscles they work. The same goes for construction workers.

But today, these two were not my examples of choice. This morning, while I was bathing, the exception (?) to the one-muscle group per day rule was something far more absurd.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Attila the Hun's invasion of Italy:

[Curtain. The lights open to Attila Dragomer, known as flagella dei, gathering his forces at the outskirts of Italy, which was then known as a part of the Roman Empire.]

A: Today, we reclaim the hand of Justa Grata Honoria, and she will grace my bed and be a very good wife for my kingdom!

Huns: AHOO! (i just had to put this in here) [The Huns rattle their weapons of war]

A: [surveys the land vis-a-vis his map, and upon finding what he was looking for - the neighboring region of Aquileia - withdrew his sword from its sheath and issued the command] Let us go, brethren! Onwards to the Roman empire!

Huns: AHOO! [charges]

[The Huns begin the invasion and soon, after many skirmishes with the forces of Valentinian III and his consort, settle down to building a castle on Aquileia. Not a single part of the former city remains.]

A: We have done well thus far, my people. Now our battle tack. Drive the people from the cities away, into the Venetian lagoon! A city floating in water has always been deemed impossible; now these Romans will disprove that, with our help!

Huns: AHOO! [scampers away to do Attila's bidding]

[Thus was the second phase of Attila's invasion of Italy the driving force behind the creation of the city of Venice. Let it be said that Attila did not just destroy, but he created as well.]

[After more skirmishes, Pope Leo I, after being convinced by the ungodly charms of Valentinian III, decides to go and bargain for the peaceful fate of Rome (now Italy). Little did he know that he was accompanied by two forces that would later on be instrumental in his success.]

[At Mantua, the two parties meet, exchange civilities and begin talking.]

Leo: You go home now please?

The ghosts of St. Peter and St. Paul: [Unseen by everybody else, except for Attila, these two spirits flank Leo I, probably carrying weapons of mass destruction as yet unseen by man during the time] Git going or else we will fuck you up real good.

Attilla: [Mellows down] Ok thx bye.

[Attila goes home to his palace, makes new plans to conquer Constantinople, and all is well. Or so he thinks. One night, after his marriage to his newest wife, Ildico:]

Gudrun (one of his previous wives): You harlot! [stabs Attila with a knife]

A: Ghraaakkkkk!

Huns: AHOO! [mourns Attila's death not with tears, but with more bloodshed. The curtains close to Attila's coffin being buried beneath the Tisza river.]

End

Seriously. All that arising from the mere thought of how soldiers in the Hunnic army developed muscles that were repeatedly used in fighting, which goes against the bodybuilder's rules. Something's wrong with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.