Skip to main content

The Killing Joke

and the wings of angels
will not carry you to the heavens;
nor will the jackdaws
caw for your remains
for death
is transitory


Just like the lull of the storm breaks with the first thunderclaps on the horizon, so does The Dark Knight begin its media run with the dismally poetic, morbidly chilling death of one of its main actors.

It's funny that the man should go just after the completion of the movie where he plays one of the most blood-curdling characters in contemporary fantasy - the Joker. It's curious that the circumstances of his death revolve around suicide via drug abuse, since it has been said that in preparation for his role as The Joker, the actor technically chose to destroy his otherwise systematic lifestyle. In true Supersize Me fashion, the man's health deteriorated, his temperament worsened, and I think anybody can only take so much of The Killing Joke, one of the most introspective, and arguably the darkest, Batman story arc ever published, before one's faith in humanity runs out. It's also rather funny, in a grim, shocking sort of way, that his death follows a falling-out with his better half - who just recently gave birth to his child.

In other words, it was probably an accident waiting to happen. A time bomb, if you will.

Godspeed, Mr. Ledger. You were an awesome soldier, and a fantastic knight-errant. Millions of fans will remember The Dark Knight as a fitting - and rather premonitory - encore before your final exit from the silver screen.

---

This will not change the sombre mood of this post. In my last entry, I forgot to mention one of the more chilling pieces of media that I happened to encounter recently. This is a 1990 Canadian short film entitled To Be, and deals with teleportation, among other things. Do not let the childish animation fool you: this video is rather grim, for its childish treatment.


Comments

  1. it had better. or else he would have left this world with the legacy of being a flop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that means Batman won.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Curious Case of the Disappearing Meter

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered these past few weeks is the inexplicable inefficiency of Maynilad Water. I don’t even know where to begin; this is how impossible the situation is. So I’ll go and separate things into multiple stories. This is the first case in this series.

Insult to Injury: the Death of Pinoy Lit

If you're the type of person who has the attention span of a goldfish, can't imagine stories without pictures, and generally are the type of person responsible for the slow decline of intelligence in the Pinoy society, then don't read this. If you are the type, but still venture forth to trudge through this text, then you are a visionary idiot, and any attempts to refute my thoughts will be met with equal - if not greater - force. If you are a kindred spirit, then feel free to trade ideas with me for the good of the written word. These are just my thoughts, not gospel truth. Dissect them, question them there is no right or wrong for those who know. I was never a fan of Butch Dalisay. Wait, let me correct myself - I was once a fan of Butch Dalisay, whenever I read his Penman articles on the lifestyle pages of the Star, but back then, I hadn't read any of his 'serious literature' yet. Which is to say, that I was just reading him as a columnist, not as a writer - ...