Skip to main content

Everybody's Dancin' in the Moonlight

Okay, note to self: if you sleep at, say, three in the morning, and for some screwed up reason, your body decides to wake you up, fresh and alert, at five thirty two bloody hours later, you can instantly assume that your body is indeed crazy, and is lying to you through it's teeth.

Here's what happened. I slept at three after enjoying a heartbreakingly beautiful movie called Magnolia (which, if you haven't had the pleasure of viewing the film as of your reading of this humbled text, should shame you into submission and prod - nay, drop kick you into finding a copy of it as fast as you can). It was an honestly good night, considering how last week was like; and I think I slept like a baby.

That is, until I opened my eyes, feeling fresh and wired, fists at the ready to tackle whatever linebackers the week decides to throw my way.

It was five thirty-two in the morning.

Since I didn't usually wake up this early in the morning, I decided to go and give the apartment a good beating - that is, I went around and tidied up what needed tidying up, kicking some of the resident spiders out of town, and dusting my small-but-steadily-growing library. Then I had some breakfast, a modest bowl of oatmeal with flakes of cheese, and a cup of coffee.

And then I went to the computer, sat down, and worked a bit on a short story. Around thirty minutes later, the water delivery boys (one had a new haircut) arrived for my weekly fix, and after they left, I did some stretching and went on my thirty-minute run.

When I finished with my routine, it was nearly twelve in the afternoon. I decided to go into town and eat lunch out. I needed to pick up my laundry, anyway. All nine kilograms of it.

Let me tell you something about lugging nine kilos of laundry uphill for around fifteen minutes. If it didn't come in even the most rudimentary of backpacks, something that you can rely the good ole dorsal to handle with ease, and instead was ceremoniously wrapped in two layers of XXL garbage bags, bless the owners of the laundromat, you will have one of two things, if not both:

  • an increased heart rate
  • a throbbing pain in and around your arms
and to think I used to lug a bottle of water up around the same distance a few months back. I cannot express in words how thankful I am for the Aqua Prime wonder twins.

I think my day went downhill from there. The heat around the time I left for the office was more than enough to make sure that I arrived at the office with a fresh coat of lovely sweat that kinda worked rather badly with the formal wear we had to put on every Monday.

Now here I am, at the office, just counting the minutes til quitting time, so that I could get home, kill myself with whatever exercise I have left for today (Monday is muscle training day oh boy).

My bed shall embrace me like a lost lover tonight. I can feel it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.