Skip to main content

The Proverbial Swordfish

Okay, the whole anime community is probably abuzz with the news by now. If you are an otaku who has been out of the loop, consider yourself lucky for you may have not yet heard of the horror that is:


Keanu Reeves as Spike Spiegel

Nobody knows if the news is true, but Keanu is a huge fan of Cowboy Bebop, and if he uses his clout to get the part, he will get it, in the midst of an entire niche's cries of despair and anguish.

Why the ruckus, you ask? The biggest reason probably lies in the fact that whilst Keanu might have the good looks and the bad-ass ability to dish out chock-fu whilst suspended in wires, the fact remains that the last role he was able to portray effectively enough remains to be Theodore "Ted" Logan. Throughout the rest of his esteemed filmography, Keanu has exhibited the acting level equal to that of a wooden plank.


Say hello, Keanu

A grain of salt, though: I was talking to Siloportem earlier, a stalwart otaku who greatly respects the CB franchise and everything it stands for, a person known for his scathing and intelligent analyses of anime and manga in general. Having said this, he was of the persuasion that the film and the casting is, in fact, a good thing.

The reason? To spread the word of Cowboy Bebop. And the possibility that, for lack of anything else, the movie might actually be entertaining.

Wise words, indeed.

Comments

  1. Admittedly, I thought the idea to be horrendous the first time I heard it...

    But somehow, he might be able to pull it off. So I think I'll shut up about this until we actually see the movie. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah. I had my misgivings about the Dragon Ball movie, but I'm actually looking forward to it (but not as a DB film). So who knows, this one might make the cut one way or the other.

    One word, though: Jet Black = Ving Rhames.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.