Skip to main content

Cold Snap

The problem with this unusually cold weather we’ve been experiencing in Metro Manila is that I have discovered that I do not like the cold. I am a warm weather person. I like basking in the sunlight. I like swimming under the sun. I love soaking up rays.

In short, the cold has been terrible to me. I’ve been feeling it in my knees and my knuckles, and that’s saying a lot since I’ve just recently turned thirty! I am, however, apparently old enough to feel the cold seep into my bones.

Another way the cold has been terrible for me is mainly because of my asthma. I don’t have weak lungs, but I do have allergies and the aforementioned asthma, and the occasional ear infection producing a lot of snot in my right ear doesn’t really help much.

It’s really weird how the cold is affecting everybody I know. Suddenly, everybody’s carrying around a sweater. Everybody’s suffering from a cold. And some friends are even resorting to using the heater option of their vehicles (something unheard of in the Philippines, unless you were living in Baguio)! It’s pretty amazing, in a weird sort of way. We’re so used to the heat that suddenly, the cold (15.7 degrees Celcius, just a couple of tenths away from the record of 15.1.

A couple of days ago, the cold got so bad that I couldn’t believe that it was just 18 degrees. The average temperature over at Baguio’s been idling at around seven. And that’s not even winter weather.

baguio-city-cold-weather-temperature
The only difference being that I like this place. Taken from Lakbay Pilipinas.

Luckily, the weather’s taken a turn for the (somewhat) warmer, and I can now safely abandon my jacket on the wayside (or the back of my chair), and saunter around the world in a single t-shirt and sensible shorts.

But some time ago, Matt Yglesias posted something on Slate about how he’d take cold weather over warm weather any day, since it was easier to deal with the cold than with the warmth. His point was that it was a lot easier to put on layers of clothing than it was to remove them. Which made sense. The only way we can deal with extreme heat is by constant rehydration, and air conditioning. Meanwhile, when it’s cold, we could just put on a jacket, an extra shirt, and an extra pair of pants. Or more than just one extra pair of both, in colder temperatures.

I believe that I represent most Pinoys when it comes to dealing with cold weather, in that I like it until it starts bothering my joints. Or, in a friend’s case, his ankles (don’t ask me how). I have a dislike for putting on more than one layer of clothing since it’s bloody mental to do that in a country as tropical as the Philippines. But with the way things have been for the past few months, maybe this is changing? Climate change or not, maybe it’s time we get used to piling on more clothing than we normally do during certain times of the year.

I’ll tell you this, though. I prefer the cold to all the rain we’ve been getting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.