Skip to main content

I’m Back!

Wow, it has been a while since I last posted something here, hasn’t it?

Well, you know what they say, no rest for the wicked. A lot of things have been happening over on my end, which more or less explains the lack of updates.

On the other hand, some of my other friends have been just as lacking in the updates corner of the blogosphere. Which leads me to wonder if microblogging is slowly taking the place of the real thing?

Something to ponder about while in the can, folks in the SEO biz. Meanwhile, in the past few weeks, I have undergone the following eventualities:

  • My laptop was taken from right beside me at SM North Edsa. Nins and I were at Sbarro’s at the time, and while I understand that fretting over spilled milk will do me as much good as a swift kick in the groin, I still wish that my old laptop would spontaneously combust whilst being used by the man who burgled me.
  • In the meantime, since I more or less relied on a laptop for work, I had to get myself a new one. Nope, no desktop dinosaur for this man. Instead, I got myself a nice and shiny Lenovo Ideapad Y450. If you can discount the fact that the machine runs on Vista, the Lenovo has been a good girl and has served me, given me a pedicure, cut my hair, and threw in a nice back massage gratis. In other words, I am happy with my purchase. Don’t ask about the price, though.
  • Ondoy was like an old, homeless hobo who had no streetcorner to pee in, so he decided to wage aquatic war with the depths of a tin can. In case the analogy escapes you, Manila was that tin can. With the floodwaters inside our house, you could have built an indoor swimming pool. Now, if I were a kid, I would have loved that (much to my parents’ dismay), but let me tell you, getting a mild electric shock while wading waist-deep in an indoor flood is not fun.
  • That was just the part of Manila that didn’t have to suffer too much from the storm. Other areas became virtual lakes overnight—friends of mine lost a house, as did the brother of an acquaintance. Some people had to be rescued from normally dry subdivisions via speedboat. Cue my dreams to have my own tugboat as a kid.
  • Thankfully, nobody I know was horribly devastated by the storm. But the civic action that took place within the metro soon afterwards was nothing short of breathtaking. The only people who weren’t helping were from the government—but we’re pretty used to that anyway, so no big deal.
  • Nins joined the relief operations at ICA. I’m damn proud of her. Plus, that photo of her diving over a pile of donation bags is priceless.
  • Speaking of Nins, she gave me a copy of Lynne Truss’ Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation. I have to admit, I am entertained. This book deserves another post altogether, and I shall get to that soon. Trust me.
  • Lastly, I must just mention that the new season of TV shows in the US has recently just begun. I have House, Heroes, How I met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Burn Notice, and Castle on my list. How about you guys?

Well, that’s it for my recap. I’ve got to get back to work now, so I’ll leave you guys here. Let’s hope my abysmal updating skills improve enough to let me update at least twice a week, lest my blog forsake me and decide to use my blood as porridge. Ta-ta.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.