Skip to main content

So Radioactive Sago is No More

          YEAH, THEY OFFICIALLY BROKE UP TONIGHT, during their tenth anniversary celebration over at Saguijo in Makati. I was at Green Papaya in Quezon City when I found out, and while it was kinda surprising, I didn't really make much of it.

That was probably because I just came from (or was leaving) a very heavy discussion of Joel Toledo's take on poetry and poetics, which, while interesting, was getting a tad too hum-drum for my layman's ears. Here I was, surrounded by a bunch of award-winning writers and people who actually had an idea of what artistic writing was, and all I could think of the entire time was which mattered more to Joel; the enjoyment gleaned from a piece, or what the reader understood.

Which was, in every aspect, a very utilitarian view. But hey, I like to live a very cosmopolitan lifestyle, so I guess that was where that came from.

Back to Sago. While I don't personally know the folks from Sago, I do know the band's frontman somewhat. Lourd de Veyra was a mentor of the TWG and the UST-CCWS, was one of the other folks responsible for my measly honorable mention at the USTetika way back, and much to my surprise, was a friend of my eldest sister. This was possibly the bridge I used to, well, bridge the gap between my froshiness and his seniority, so to speak, and found a way to gab with the man during the few times I ran into him. The most poignant conversation I had with him was at the doorstep of ABS-CBN, where we shot the breeze over a couple of cigarettes (I was still smoking at the time). We got into discussing Jorge Luis Borges, and one way or the other, we got into a discussion of writing passionately, wherein he delivered one of the most memorable lines I have probably ever heard: writing was just a job. Which, if you remove all of the drama and hardships encountered when coming up with a written piece, was pretty much fact.

If you'll notice, from talking about Radioactive Sago Project, I went to a direct tangent from the band to the frontman. Which doesn't say much, to the common reader, because hey, the vocalist was usually the dude who drew the people in, and it was no different with Radioactive Sago. Which (I seem to use the word which a lot these days) is kinda sad, from a musical perspective, since I tend to listen to the gestalt of a band's performance, whether digital or live. While a singular element of a musical piece might be impressive, it's the entirety of the song, the cohesiveness of each instrument and the planning that goes into each phrase that makes a song what musicians call "legendary."

Now, back to my focus on Lourd when discussing Sago. Sago was a very very good band, no doubt about it; it's rare to find a somewhat commercially successful jazz act in contemporary Pinoy culture, but Sago was able to hit it, ever since the single "(Gusto ko ng) Baboy" hit the airwaves. But see, the song relied mostly on its comedic element, which was provided for by Lourd through his masterfully crafted lyrics. So in a way, when you talk about Sago, you talk about Lourd.

This explains my pretty lackadaisical reaction to Sago's break-up. After all, I went around social circles that often crossed paths with Lourd, so I hadn't lost anything; I could always hear him perform in the future, or read his newer works. In other words, it won't be Radioactive Sago that I'll be looking for when I look for Radioactive Sago; it'd be Lourd, and since Lourd was still pretty much active - well, you get the picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.