Skip to main content

The Things in my Mind

Crossroads are annoying little bitches, sometimes. You don't know if you're going the right way, and the only way you can find out is if you take the damn avenue - and even then, you probably wouldn't be in your own perfect path anyway.

But that's the thing. You have to take them, whether you want to or not (although you mostly often don't; you rarely get chances to choose exactly what your heart tells you to choose, either because you're an idiot or because everything looks enticing, and these two situations always happen).

At the very least, I am on the last legs of my stay here in this sleepy city that remains to be one of the most beautiful I've seen, although I wouldn't want to live here. In eleven days, November rears in its ugly face, and from then, it's two days to my dad's birthday, thirteen to the near-death anniversary of the crash brothers Obi and Martin.

And the day after that, I go home.

Home. It sounds like a Star Wars introduction. A galaxy far, far away.


Yesterday was the last day of editing. The dregs of all the shittiest writers the world could ever push my way has been processed through my majick hands of healing, and as I finished cleaning up the last damned word of that godforsaken set of documents, I could feel my mind breathing a sigh of relief.

Next week, I start working with a new team. And I am not without my apprehensions. I don't know if I'm up to the tasks and the toxicity of the post. It's like I've actually learned to doubt my own abilities, whereas a year ago exactly, the only thing I ever doubted was the veracity of Jessica Zafra's existence (which has, unfortunately, been proven). These guys (my department heads) are thrusting me into unknown territory, and the only thing that's keeping me from running scared is my huge ego. Granted, I was technically tossing myself into the jungle when I decided to take the CdO post last October, but I foraged on like a crazed guerrilla on steroids. Now, I'm not so surefooted.

Dang, really. The October-November cusp seems to host a lot of gut-wrenching twists of fate for me. Fortunately, I have alcohol and my pigheadedness to keep me from tapping out. Might not be much to go on with, but it's more than enough to keep me smiling.


Somebody is mad at me. I don't know if that person will be reading this; if this is the case, then I'd like to beg for forgiveness. You know who you are; I can't bear having disagreements with you, so drop me a message when you can. Radio silence is going to be the death of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maynilad Water Chronicles: The Clusterf$%#, Part 2

This is the third post in our Maynilad Water chronicles. This time, we will talk about just how inept their record keeping skills are in the face of a massive overhaul in a given area. This involves a technique used by Meralco in high-risk areas called clustering, and is efficient – if utilized correctly. Needless to say, Maynilad has yet to be able to do this.

Clarity in Three Parts

i Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan Iniwanan at iba ang pinuntahan Parang babaeng mahirap talagang malimutan Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan Manila, Manila I keep coming back to Manila Simply no place like Manila Manila, I'm coming home I walked the streets of San Francisco I've tried the rides in Disneyland Dated a million girls in Sydney Somehow I feel like I don't belong Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga Mga Jeepney mong nagliliparan Mga babae mong naggagandahan Take me back in your arms Manila And promise me you'll never let go Promise me you'll never let go Manila, Manila Miss you like hell, Manila No place in the world like Manila I'm coming here to stay ii. Too, uh, cheesy to mention. Check the lyrics here . iii. I've been drunk or inebriated every day of this week since Saturday last week; since I'm holding an inuman party

Manila Series: Parks of Manila

The other day, I read the post of a friend who was ranting about how Manila can only be beautiful when seen from a specific light. I could understand what he means, because Manila is the center of traffic in the NCR. The poor are here in full force, the most corrupt policemen are here, and honestly, there is no discipline whatsoever. But here’s something that I’ve discovered. You walk Manila. You don't drive it. It isn't the most walkable city in the world, but what can be seen when you do walk it is fantastic. And when you walk around the city, you don’t encounter the corrupt cops (because they’re going after the drivers), you don’t deal with traffic. You can’t do anything about the poor, though. Unless they’re doing something productive, and not just begging, I avoid them. If they’re cleaning up trash, or something similar, then I give them cash.